Rare American Handcuff Company N-550 hinged handcuffs
This is one of the more rare AHC models, along with the J-105 and the L-600 and the combinations. The aluminum version, (AHC A-550) is more common. Several A-550s have sold recently, one for $224 and another with the original box for $385.
I purchased this N-550 today for a mere $74.99 buy it now, and I look forward to cleaning and polishing it up.
It's strange how often AHC models are sold buy it now with undervalued price. I suppose it's due to the fact that they look like "regular modern handcuffs" to anyone who doesn't collect or know about handcuffs, while antique designs like Tower, Bean, or Bottlenecks are much more obviously vintage or antique. It's still not uncommon to see a rare antique example listed for cheap, but the number of AHC restraints that sell for a fraction of their value is inordinate. When a similar or even less rare example goes to auction, the price is almost universally significantly higher.
Above, the last digit of the serial number is raised and crooked, how about that?
This is a rare example of the most ergonomic hinged handcuffs ever made, and I am glad to have another AHC restraint. I now have every standard model from AHC except the J-105 and N-400, (which don't appeal to me) and the L-600, which I would like, but I may just get the Chicago Handcuff Company reproduction unless I find it for super cheap as well)






Comments
Post a Comment