Tricky Fakes

This is a low quality modern reproduction cuff. This one made me take a second look though because the patina looks legit and I've seen fewer of these on eBay recently. The seller states it's "Antique" and "not a reproduction" and has listed it at $84.99.

I'm here to tell you that this is in no way an antique, or even vintage, and has no collectable or historical value whatsoever. 

These are often sold with an Alcatraz plate glued on, or any one or another half dozen historical prisons or penitentiaries. They are all fakes. 

Above, the matching leg irons. Same crude sheet metal cuff body, single locking, comically large key. At least the chain itself is pretty nice. I guess they're supposed to look like Towers? 


Above, all the proof you need. Same "antique" cuffs, SEVEN in stock, laugh my fucking ass off. 


Below, this is the only other legitimate cuff that I can imagine this fake is meant to look like. This Mattatuck Handcuff has a solid metal cuff body and solid manufacturing tolerances. 


Below, another example of these same fakes as leg irons. Note the Alcatraz name plate. Not legit. 



Comments

Popular Posts